Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Disappointment

Alright, I gave it time before writing. I was afraid of what I might say in the heat of the moment, but I was NOT happy with the movie version of Twilight. Did we learn nothing from McCain and the Republicans, play only to your base and ignore outer parties... you lose.

Twilight was not only made for 13-year-old girls. It was like it was made BY a 13-year-old girl. I can handle the melodramatic perspective, we are talking about a story based on a high school aged love affair, vampire or not everything is dramatic when you are 17. However, I am under NO circumstances OK with directors and screenwriters who think they can write the story better. Look, I don't even think as a whole the series is written all that well, but that doesn't mean you should chop up what is a story about a relationship into a series of fragmented scenes based on famous lines taken out of context and poorly formulated action sequences.

For instance, in the book Edward blocks Bella's car to sit and watch in amusement as every guy in Forks asks her to prom. In the movie this scene is blown through and loses the humor it is originally written with. Now movie adaptations will always involve cutting for time. However if you chose to include a moment from the book in the movie... FEATURE IT AS IT IS WRITTEN.

I feel better, thanks. The strangest part of this rant is despite all my frustrations with the movie and I promise this is only the tip of the iceberg. Every time I see a trailer, I want to see the movie again. So, the movie managed to appeal to the 13-year-old in me who just wants to see a gorgeous guy fall for an awkward girl and save her from danger.

2 comments:

Emily J. Griffin said...

First. Read my Twilight post.

Second. Love the new background.

TiffanyKristal said...

I couldn't have said it better....I was so disappointed with some of the scenes...but I completely fell in love with the stupid characters...and although I was not happy with the movie...I am NOT going to tell you how many times I saw the movie. I guess I've got a 13 year old girl inside of me too.