Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Never-Ending Questions

I never liked math much. I was always decent at it, but found it boring. However, lately what I wouldn't give to deal in a world absolutes... 2+2=4. The subjective world of trying to figure out what will make you happy in life and balancing the good with the bad is exhausting.

I have this problem, to be blamed solely on my parents. I think too much. A part of my personality that is both a gift and curse. And I promise you, it is a family trait, check out my sister's blog "A Heart on a Wire" if you don't believe me. She is cursed with an over-analytical mind as well but luckily for her, she has the writing abilities to turn it into an art. I however just babble and vent. The unattractive symptom of this family trait that my friends, family and boyfriend have to suffer through...daily.

I promise there is a point to this blatant example of my problem.

I am currently working in public relations for various clients in the housing industry. Not a job I particular enjoy or feel remotely satisfied by. After about a day in my new job, I decided I hate PR and I want to teach. I want to feel like I am doing something in my job, making some type of an impact.

Also (and I realize online may not be the best medium to announce this) I don't like computers and the digital age of communication. At least not enough to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours a day mastering the use of Ctrl C and Ctrl V. I want to be up and moving, interacting with people. I want my job to be about the things I'm passionate about; people, politics, education. Therefore, day one into my first real PR job I decided I want to teach.

Now the only thing plaguing me, (besides finding a teaching job on a provisional basis in the middle of the semester) is do I want to teach because I'll be good at it, enjoy it and may even manage to do some good or am I just running away to what seems easiest? Everyone in my family teaches, another symptom of out over-active minds I suppose. Is that why I go straight to teaching, because its the quickest answer? I'd like to find a formula to simplify matters. Why doesn't life present it self in mathematical terms?

Teaching=Happiness... maybe

No comments: